M. Irfan Ashraf , Bakhatawar Liaqat, Kanwal Shahzadi, Shazia Kiran, Laraib Anam , M. Bilal Shaukat and Nazar Hussain wrote a research paper on Bitter gourd entitle of “Effect of zinc, iron and boron on growth, yield and quality of Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia L.) in Punjab“
The present research was carried out to evaluate the effects of micronutrients such as boron, iron and zinc on growth and yield of bitter gourd at research area of vegetables, Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture Faisalabad during the year of 2019. Trial was conducted in Randomized Complete Block Design comprising of 2 varieties and 9 treatments replicated three times.
Many vegetables are cultivated in Pakistan in which bitter gourd has a major place due to its economic and nutritional value. In Pakistan, bitter gourd is generally cultivated in March to September. In Punjab, bitter gourd is grown in March or April and a second crop is grown in June or July but not in common practice (Tahir and Haider, 2005).
Various reproductive and vegetative parameters like fruit weight, fruit yield per vine, fruit length etc. were recorded. Data was recorded by following the standard procedures. When fruit would get ready to harvest they were harvested. Data was investigated by ANOVA techniques and by using LSD test means were compared at 5% probability level. Different varieties and micronutrients showed significant variations among, germination percentage, fruit fresh weight, fruit diameter and chemical parameter like vitamin C, TSS and Chlorophyll Contents. The treatment T4 (ZnSO4 0.5%+FeSO4 0.5%) found best for number of days 40-50 taken to first flowering, fruit diameter(14.45mm) and fruit length (26.3cm) as compared to control treatment (without foliar spray). Fruit yield per plant (1.75kg per plant), average fruit weight (170.09gm), number of fruits per plant (9.66) and male and female ratio of bitter gourd responded significantly to the foliar application of Iron, Boron and Zinc.
Get the full pdf articles by following the link Int. J. Agron. Agri. Res. 16(4), 11-19. April 2020.
- Abd-el-Baky MMH, Ahmed AA, El-Nemr MA, Zaki MF. 2010. Effect of potassium fertilizer and foliar zinc application on yield and quality of sweet potato Research. Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science 6, 386-394.
- Agarwala SC, Sharma CP, Farooq S. 1985. Effect of iron supply on growth, chlorophyll, tissue iron and activity of certain enzymes in maize and radish Journal of Plant Physiology 3, 493-499.
- Ahmed, MS, Rasul MG, Bashar MK, Mian ASM. 2007. Variability and heterosis in snake gourd. (Trichosanthes anguina L.). Bangladesh Journal of Plant Breeding and Genetics 13, 27-32.
- Akhter L, Islam MS, Uddin MN, Ahmed S. 2009. Evaluation of New Bitter Gourd Germplasm. Research Report, 2008-2009. Horticulture Research Centre, BARI, Gazipur. p.16.
- Aruna, P, Swaminathan V. 2012. Effect of nitrogen and Evaluation of hybrids for high yield and yield attributes in bitter gourd (Momordica Charantia L.). Asian Journal of Horticulture 7, 624-625.
- Bharad SG, Kapgate, AM, Gonge, VS, Dalal SR, Chandan PM. 2011. Effect of foliar application of zinc and iron on growth and yield of bitter gourd. Wonder under net house Asian Journal of Horticulture 2, 209-211.
- Borax. 2002. Soil Tests for Available Boron In: Boron in agriculture Micronutrient.
- Bose US, Tripathi SK. 2003. Effect of micronutrients on growth, yield and quality of bittergourd cv. Pusa Veshesh in M.P. Crops Research 12, 61-64.
- Day SC. 2014. Fruit yield response of water melon at different levels of Iron and Zinc New Dehli India 59, 61-33.
- Gedam, V M, Patil RB, Suryawanshi YB, Mate SN. 1996. Seed quality as influenced by growth regulators in bitter gourd. Seed Science Research 24, 158-159.
- Harman, GE, Howell CR, Viterbo A, Chet I, Lorito M. 2014. Effect of zinc and iron on growth and yield of bottle gourd. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2, 43-56.
- James, MS. 2003. Horticultural Sciences, Department. A reviewed. Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville FL 32611.
- Kumar APR, Vasudevan SN, Patil MG, Rajrajeshwari C. 2012. Influence of zinc, and boron spray on seed yield and quality of bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) cv. Pusavisesh. Asian Journal of Horticulture 7(1), 36-39 40.
- Lashkari, CO, Makwana AN, Meman MA. 2013. Effect of zinc and iron on growth and yield of water melon. Asian Journal of Horticulture 2(2), 277-279.
- Mulani, SA, Hussain AR, Wadan D. 2007. Effect of zinc levels and sowing dates on growth and production of bitter gourd. Department of |Horticulture, NWFP Agricultural University, Peshawer, Sarhad Journal of Agriculture 21, 591-594.
- Nadkarni AK. 2000. Indian Meteria Medica. Publ. Popular Prakashan PVT. Ltd., Bombay. 1, 805-7.
- Nasreen, S, Ahmad R, Nazm M. 2013. NPK and S for yield maximization of bitter gourd. ISSN 0258-7122. Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural Research Unit 38, 355-361.
- Palada. MC, Chang. LC. 2003. Suggested cultural practices for bitter gourd. AVRJJC Pandey, UB and Singh L. 2001. Export of vegetables 321-332.
- Panse VG, Sukhatme PV. 2015. Statistical methods for agricultural workers. ICAR, New Delhi. eed Science Research 24, 158-159.
- Patel AP, Tandel YN, Patel CR, Patel MA, Patel PB. 2007. Effect on combined application of zinc and iron on growth and yield of gherkin. Asian Journal of Horticulture 4(1), 78-81. 31.
- Salami MA, Siddique MA, Rahim MA, Rahman MA, Goffar MA. 2011. Quality of bottle gourd as influenced by boron and zinc in presence of different doses cow dung. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Unit 36, 151- 163.
- Tahir M, Haider MS. 2005. First report of tomato leaf curl New Delhi virus infecting bitter-gourd in Pakistan. Plant Pathology 54, 807.
- Verma VK, Sirohi PS, Choudhury B. 1984. Note on the response of chemicals to seed treatment on sex expression and fruiting in bitter gourd. Indian Journal of Horticulture 41, 113-115.
- Yadav, PVS, Abha T, Sharma NK, Tikko A. 2001. Effect of zinc and iron application on growth, flowering and fruiting of bitter gourd. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Sciences 30, 105-107.
- Yousuf MN, Islam MS, Karim AJMS, Rahman MM. 2009. Fruit yield response of bottle gourd at different levels of Iron and Zinc. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Unit 11(2), 11-19.